Sunday, October 14, 2012

Passive Persistence...



EDIT: To see the published version of this blog, please go to http://central.parellinaturalhorsetraining.com/2012/12/passive-persistance-asking-for-the-try/



Expect A Lot, Accept A Little, Reward The Slightest Try.

Reward the slightest try: a Parelli-ism I had always tried to live by for my Right Brain Introvert horse. I was doing it all by the book, giving her time, using approach and retreat, and waiting for her to build her confidence. For the past year I have been trying to live by this motto (I even have a bracelet with the saying to remind me), yet last night I came to a realization that sheds a whole new light on what it means to reward the try. 

In order to reward the slightest try, you must first ask for the horse to try. 

This, my friends, is the basis of my revelation. In the past year, as I began to get more involved with many Parelli Professionals in clinics and lessons, a reverberating theme has been incorporated in all of their advise to me. I must not be afraid to ask more of my horse. In other words, (for lack of a more imaginative way to put this), I must expect a lot. This in and of itself is not a major epiphany. I've said it here, and here and probably even more than that, and yet, today it makes more sense. The real understanding for me comes from what it means for my horse to try for me. I titled this post "Passive Persistence"because this is what is required from the horsewoman (or man) as she asks the horse for the try. In the past, if Rydel showed opposition to something (say, for example, an upward transition in the saddle) I would avoid doing it, I wouldn't push her because I didn't want to compromise our relationship. I figured it would come in time, I wanted it to be her idea. I don't think this was a wrong way of thinking, but I understand now that it was not the best thing for my horse. You see, in avoiding all the issues we would have when asking for higher gaits, I compromised my position as the best leader for my horse. So long as I use passive persistence in the proper position, anything I ask of my horse would be an appropriate amount to request her to try for me. So long as I keep myself centered and my emotions out of it, I should ask until my horse responds with the slightest try. 

That being said, the way you ask for the try will be different if the horse is left or right brain at the moment. In my case, Rydel would buck or throw her head when asking for an upward transition to the canter. I first got off and assessed if it was pain, fear, or defiance and discovered online that it was the latter. Knowing it was a left brain behavior, I felt confident addressing the issue from the saddle. First I asked her to change gait using my focus, energy, a smooch, and then a tap on the rear with my hand. She would respond but would buck, spin, and stop in every effort to avoid actually going forward. In an effort to be more effective I grabbed my carrot stick and played plink, plink, keeping passive persistence in mind, I did not give up even when she bucked. I stayed calm and kept asking for her to find the right answer. After all, we are still playing the seven games, right? It was a long, painful few minutes as Rydel tried all the tactics that had worked for her in the past to avoid going forward, until finally she cantered a few strides without protest. And that was it. We ended the ride. Rydel licked and chewed after our ride, but it was me who had more to think about after our ride. I've said constantly that I want to be the best I can be for my horse. Well, unlocking this part of the leadership, relationship, partnership puzzle is one huge step closer to achieving that goal. :)

Rydel and me when I was in High School, we've come so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment