Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Let's Talk Saddles

Saddle fit is such a complex issue, complete with both myths as well as facts and everything in between. I highly encourage every rider to research for themselves and attempt to find the truth, but be warned, once you start, it is a long and treacherous journey!

About a year ago, I got my Duett saddle and decided that my saddle search was essentially over and that I had found exactly what I wanted. Of course, at the time the Duett was what I wanted: a saddle wide enough that I could shim under it and it would allow my horse's muscles to build up underneath. After all, this is the general concept to follow for saddle fit that Parelli teaches and it is why their saddles are so darn wide. And it does make sense, you don't want to fit a saddle to a horse that is not muscled properly to carry a rider. Well after about a year of using my Duett with both the Theraflex pad and the Equipedic pad, I am still seeing soreness in my horse's back, just forward of the lumbo-sacral junction. Along with this, my horse remains to be girthy and hate being saddled despite trying everything imaginable to fix it! (As a side note, I am putting my horse on an acid reducer, per the vet's recommendation to rule out the possibility of ulcers.) 

So where does this leave me? Basically, I felt the need to start over with what I know about saddles and saddle fit and go on a exploratory journey of my own which requires lots and lots of learning. I began researching saddle fit, biomechanics of the horse, differences between treed, treeless, and flex-tree saddles, and finally what models would be best all things considered. I must say, I have received a lot of information but don't have a very good way of sorting it all out. Hence, I'm turning to you, the blogging community of the world, for help. 

First, here is a theory article article about the biomechanics of the horse and how they relate to saddle fit. I would say, I agree with most of the information presented in this article. In fact, and embarrassingly, many of the illustrations of horses subjected to poor saddle fit, look a lot like my horse. :( I don't think I'm doing everything wrong. I do have a wider saddle and place it so that it is behind the scapula, but the panels do not sit flat on her back which I believe could be contributing to her pain. 

As such, here are some of the models I am looking at:

1) The Parelli Cruiser - built on a flex tree and designed with the lowest part of the saddle in the back to help put you on your balance point. I am interested in this saddle because of my interest in trail riding, but it is overwhelmingly expensive, way heavier than my english all purpose saddle, and I am unsure how my horse would react to something built more like a western saddle. 

2) The Freeform Saddle- Technically a treeless saddle but is built with special injection molded foam as well as a flexible gullet that helps provide support. Not nearly as expensive as Parelli and has gotten rave reviews, but still has the taboo of being treeless. 

3) Balance Saddles- What the Parelli's used to use and promote. I believe they are built with a flexible tree but I cant be sure as their website is difficult to navigate. I believe the theory provided on their website is good but I'm still pretty in the dark about these saddles. 

Basically, I want your feedback, advise, personal anecdotes, recommendations, ANYTHING that will help lead me in the right direction. In other words, let's talk saddles!


5 comments:

  1. That link really gave me an insight! I need to double check my mare's saddle to make sure it fits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing that link!
    i bought the natural performer extra wide for milva and it seems to fit perfectly. it´s a hell lot of money but i reasoned with myself that if i buy a sadle like this i will have it for many years to come and always can use it on other horses as well plus i think western sadles are perfect for trailriding.
    i do have to admit that i´m still not used to it though and still haven´t quite figured out how to sit in it. i rode english my whole life and never even sat in a western sadle before i bought the np.
    when it comes to the weight - i think horses will get used to it - or so i try to convince myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to ride in the Parelli all purpose Fluidity saddle and loved it! I am currently looking for a used one 17 inch on the Parelli forums. I think your horse and you will love the cruiser if you got it? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get in touch with Emily, she is selling hers and I believe it is just your size!

      Delete
  4. I've struggled for a long time with my horse Sonny and saddle fitting. After trying lots of saddles both of us are finally happy with the Natural Performer, so I definitely recommend their saddles :)

    ReplyDelete