Thursday, March 29, 2012

Turning Over a New Leaf

As the trees and flowers are beginning to blossom this spring, it seems there is no better time to check my priorities and ensure that I am putting the horse first. So, with a new schedule that gives me more horse time, I am turning over a new leaf and it feels great! This week I have spent everyday with Rydel and each day I have been at the barn while the sun is actually still in the sky (yes this is a big deal)! To kick off the new season we had Parelli Professional, Laura Beaver out to the farm to give us a lesson in freestyle. I sat and watched her lesson with Emily which gave me some great ideas for patterns and exercises to practice during our ride.

When it was my turn, Laura brought out the Red Light which is a devise that uses an infrared photonic light to stimulate tissue repair along with the increase of blood and oxygen to damaged areas. I had heard a lot of good reviews about the therapy but was skeptical and wanted to try it for myself. Before our lesson I had explained Rydel's sensitivity to being touched along her abdomen as well as the soreness in her back and her arthritis. Without actually seeing her, Laura had suggested it might be ovary related but to try a gastro-supplement first. Well, Laura did a few points on Rydel with the light and I could already begin to see her relax but I was blown away when she redlighted the point near her ovary- Rydel let out a huge release, her head dropped nearly to the ground, she started blinking, licking and chewing excessively and her whole posture changed. From then on, as she did more points on her body I could see my horse get more and more relaxed. She even changed the way she was standing to be more square! A at the end of it she blew out her nose and the back end (if you know what I mean) for about 2 minutes straight then just stood there with her head down and lip droopy as if she were about to fall asleep! I was shocked! I had never seen such a positive response as there was with the Red Light. Even massage therapy and chiropractics had never come close to what I saw with the light! After that, I saddled her and walked her around just to have her associate the saddle with a good feeling, but I didn't ride. Instead, I let her out to pasture and allowed her to just feel good.

Beginning the Red Light Process

After seeing the immense positive effect it had on my horse, I've decided to invest in a Red Light of my own. I really want to put her needs first and if I can alleviate her pain and keep her relaxed, it is definitely worth the money! This is just one of the ways I hope to improve our relationship this spring- I think it's going to be a great season!




2 comments:

  1. Yay, that's awesome! I've heard a little about the Red Light therapy, but was pretty skeptical about it myself. I've never seen it done in person. I'm so happy that it's something that will work for Rydel! My first horse, Missy, developed really bad arthritis in her shoulder, so I know how heartbreaking it can be to watch your horse struggle with the pain.

    ReplyDelete