Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Journey Begins With A Single Step

Where do I even begin?

My intrigue with horses started when I was in kindergarten, a friend of mine had a collection of Breyer horses we would play with in her room. At the time, I was extremely interested in naming and personifying the plastic horses, rendering me virtually unaware of my subtle socialization into the horse world. While I was playing, I was also learning about horses. I learned their breeds and colors, and I also learned, via stories from my kindergarten friend's mother, that horses could be loyal friends, partners, if you will. And at the very least, I believed horses were "cool". As I progressed in school however, horses did not play very much of a role in my life. One particular person, however, did play a very significant role in my life, her name is Cecelia, she was my first friend from pre-school, and she is my best friend. In the end, it was Cece who lead me back into the horse world with the brilliant idea of attending the YMCA horseback riding summer camp in the 4th grade. A few days at camp and I was into horses for good.

Fast-forward a few more years to 7th grade, during which time Cece and I joined 4H at Pegasus Therapeutic Riding Center. It was pretty much the only 4H group close to our houses and we learned a great deal about horses. We also learned about compassion and equality as we were expected to volunteer at the therapeutic riding center. I absolutely loved working there- mucking stalls and leading horses- what a life! Of course, in time, it left me wanting a horse of my own, particularly as everyone was taking their horses to shows and the county fair. Yet, little did I know, 4H was about to change my life in a much more profound way. Late in my 4H career our group had somehow managed to get tickets to see Pat and Linda Parelli perform at their tour stop in Columbus, Ohio. Anyone who wanted to go could do so, for free! The only rule was that we must wear our 4H attire to designate our status as a club. I sat in the expo center in absolute astonishment. Pat, Linda, and their crew were not training horses, they were understanding them! It was an incredible experience. In those two short days I was a full fledged believer in natural horsemanship. Parelli was the key! The next step was to find myself a horse!

Sometime toward the end of my 8th grade year, my father had to go on a business trip to Kentucky. Knowing we would be around the Kentucky Horse Park, my mother and I were invited to go along for a mini vacation. The sheer magnificence of the Park simply could not compare to the magnificence of the car ride home. I will never forget that car ride, it was the time my dad finally agreed to let me get a horse! I was elated! Countless dreamhorse.com searches and visits to farms led me to the love of my life, my equine partner and teacher, Rydel. Being an unbroken arabian, everyone thought I was crazy for getting her. And it's true, there were so many clues that should have steered me away from her. (Take her unwillingness to step through a tiny (I mean tiny!) puddle on the ground, for example). But there was no convincing me otherwise, I wanted her. My dad was the first to detect how smart she is. At the same time, it was only a matter of days before we all detected how scared she was! I had my hands full, but despite ridicule, funny looks, and questions like "why don't you just get on that horse and ride?", I stayed true to the Parelli program and was able to work through Rydel's immense fear of people and saddling. She was not a confident horse, but at least she trusted me.

With little support from fellow horse people, it took me a very long time to work my way through level one. Rydel was extremely challenging for me, something I did not care to admit, and I slowly got more and more frustrated and discouraged. Eventually it was to the point that I would make excuses to not go to the barn. If I did go, I would only groom or walk around with her. In high school, I threw myself headfirst into my social life and Speech and Debate. I left little time for my horse and even less time for building an actual relationship with her. It appeared as though I was losing interest in my horse, but in reality, I was just scared. My interests in politics and International Relations lead me to attend The Ohio State University. My time as a freshman in college was spend entirely without my horse. It was this distance that I believe saved my relationship with my horse, and I am so eternally grateful that my parents didn't give up on me and kept Rydel for all those years of figuring things out.

The summer after my freshman year of college, I made a vow to return to the world of natural horsemanship and to pursue a happy and healthy relationship with my horse. I was determined to make it work, which is why, after completeling my summer internship in Pennsylvania, I made the decision to bring Rydel to Columbus. To start over. It was the best decision I ever could have made. In the two years I have had Rydel at school with me, we have made more progress than we have in the five years I had her prior. She still challenges me, but now, I challenge her as well. I learn from my little mare every day, and I am so incredibly grateful that she never gave up on me. She is incredibly forgiving, and I am determined to continue on this journey full steam ahead, never looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment