Monday, November 28, 2011

Sometimes you have to take a step backward in order to move forward.

This past week I have learned that looking at things with a fresh prospective can allow for immense improvement. Of course, sometimes gaining a new prospective means borrowing someone else's. One day, I was trying to figure out how to improve our "Stick to Me" game. I had worked on the friendly game in zones 2 and 3 so that Rydel would be comfortable with me walking next to her instead of leading her from the front, but for some reason we would always revert back to that position, with her behind me. After watching this for a few minutes, Emily suggested that I give Rydel a consequence for not sticking to me. So, the next time we tried it and Rydel fell behind me I waved my carrot stick behind me to cue her to catch up. It didn't take very long for her to catch on and soon we were completely connected. It was a simple fix but something that would have taken me much longer to figure out on my own.

Also, as I previously mentioned, I have been trying to video more of my play sessions in order to become more comfortable with the camera. What I've found is that watching my videos helps me see what I cant always see during sessions. Of course, it's sometimes difficult to critique oneself, which is why I was thrilled when one of the Savvy Club members watched my video and offered some practical advice. I won't bore you with all the details of the conversation but I am so grateful for the advice and information I received. The next time I played, a few parts of her advice crept into my consciousness. One of the things she helped me become more aware of is the fact the cues I give with my rope hand are often misleading. (For example, holding my hand up and out while asking for the sideways game is confusing because typically holding my hand out like that means go forward). The other piece of advice that stuck in my mind that day was that I should view our driving game as my bubble trying to move her bubble. Thinking about these two things I decided to take off the 22 foot lead and play at liberty as I was afraid of accidentally confusing my horse with my rope hand. As soon as we were at liberty I was absolutely ecstatic to find that our stick to me game was fantastic! Im so happy to have such a strong bond with my horse that Rydel actually wanted to be with me! She stuck to me for over an hour! Even at rest while I was talking with another horse owner at the barn (the perfect opportunity for her to walk off and distract herself with other things) she stayed right next to me, leg cocked, patiently waiting for my next cue! :D I couldn't have been happier to see the effects of a bond I had worked so long to build.

Here is some video from that night. Of course, I got kinda emotional once the camera went on so my focus is a little off and the video DOES NOT do the whole experience justice. As always comments are welcome and in an effort to critique myself I noticed the strange expression on my face, the fact that my headband is falling off, the fact that some of my cues/phases are way too strong than what would have been necessary, and my directions are not always clear. Rydel needs a strong leader and I don't always offer that. Lucky for me, she is understanding that I am learning too and I am so excited to keep improving for her!

Sometimes taking a step back means viewing yourself from the other side of the video camera.

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe that it was just September that she wouldn't even go near the pedestal and now, only two months later, she is doing it at liberty? Sometimes I get so caught up in the "good, better, best" that I forget to look at how far we have come! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Sometimes I forget that I used to have a spooky horse- I rarely ever see that horse anymore. :D

    ReplyDelete