Sunday, June 24, 2012

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder


Today I had a revelation that I think will certainly better my relationship with my horse in the future. I've mentioned that lately I have not had a whole lot of time to spend with Rydel due to my new work schedule. Since today was only the second time this week that I have been able to see my horse, I was in an extremely good mood when I got to the barn. Walking in, seeing her face, and getting to scratch all her itchy spots was so refreshing and instantly motivated me to make the most of my time with Rydel. We spent some time outside grazing together while I asked for various tasks here and there after she circled and paid attention to where she was going I would let her stop to eat. It was the same for the touch it and porcupine games. I didn't have much of an agenda during all this, i was just testing things here and there. After a while we went into the indoor where I recieved the best connection we have had in a long time online! We were playing at the end of our 22 foot rope and Rydel was asking all kinds of questions and putting lots of effort into the patterns. I was thrilled at how well she did today despite all our time apart.

So all this got me thinking...It's not necessary the distance that makes our relationship better than ever when we return to one another, but it is the fact that the distance causes me to be in a good mood when I do get to spend time with my horse. Furthermore, the key is to not come in feeling rushed, but to appreciate the time you have and focus on enriching the quality of the time together. This attitude adjustment on my part has my horse instantly more relaxed and connected to me and allows me to breathe and brush off any issues we do have which in turn helps those issues to slowly become less and less. Since I've started work and limited my horse time, I've actually noticed my horse is quicker to start thinking and become LB, quicker to respond to me, and more willing to be with and stay with me as opposed to being with her barn buddies. This is all not because of the time we spend apart, but because the time we spend together is that much more precious. Horses are so smart and sensitive, they know when you're being direct line (which is me almost all the time for me when I focus too much on passing levels rather than building a relationship). Well today I appreciate this valuable lesson my horse taught me, because if I've learned anything these past two weeks its that a horse doesn't care how much you know until they know how much you care!- Pat Parelli


No comments:

Post a Comment